A high amount of our work and considerations go into those wines. We were able to recultivate the historic, terraced vineyards around Bad Dürkheim’s Michael’s chapel and around Wachenheim’s Wachtenburg and those landscapes produce beautiful, unique wines.
Manual labor in the vineyards, carefully hand-picked and selected grape material and an individual maturing make this wine very special.
Single vineyard wines: Schlossberg
he Schlossberg is the origin of our work since it all began with the reculivation of those historic terraced vineyards which are heritages of our predecessors who have put a lot of effort and work into those terraces. Thanks to them we are able to harvest beautiful wines from those precious natural spaces.
The soil in this area consists of poor sandstone and because of this and its elevated location the grapes up show late ripeness. So the harvest in this single site vineyard called “Schlossberg” always brings about the end of our harvest season. The wines are often a little bit more cool, more salty and have typical peach aromas.
- Schlossberg Riesling: Terraced single site vineyard around Wachenheim’s Wachtenburg; a structured Riesling with fresh acidity
- „Die Burg“ Riesling: the best grapes of the best parcels around the Wachtenburg; late harvest, individual maturing; a powerful wine with a high ageing potential.
Single vineyard wines: Michelsberg
This vineyard is located right in the middle of Bad Dürkheim and Michaelis chapel is right on top if it.
We lease this vineyards from the city and so we are able to produce Riesling and Pinot Blanc on two terraced vineyards. The soils around the chapel is characterized by limestone. Because of this and because of the heat that the city produces the wines from this single site vineyards are full-bodied and full of yellow fruit aromas.
- Michelsberg Riesling: Matured in small wooden barrels; a full-bodied and rich Riesling with peach notes
- Michelsberg Weissburgunder: A creamy and full-bodied Pinot with notes of yellow fruits and peach aromas; matured in small wooden barrels.
Single vineyard wines: Reds
When producing our reds we are usually a little bit more adventuresome. From destemping by hand and maturing in old barriques to spontaneous fermentations- we do it all! The material for our Cabernet Sauvignon comes from a single site called “Altenburg” in Wachenheim. The minimal yields of this vineyards tend to drive us crazy. But they are also the reason why the juice of those grapes is so highly concentrated. For our Pinot Noir elegance is our most important aim and the influence of the baroque is then the icing on the cake.
- Schlossgarten Spätburgunder: Matured in barrique, full-bodied tannin structure, roasted aroma with delicate fruit.
- Altenburg Cabernet Sauvignon: concentrated aromas of fresh black pepper and red bell peppers, matured, harmonious body; matured in barrique